Friday, May 16, 2008

Quantifiers

Tonight I walked behind two men describing how to quantify some form
of growth. Wide arm gestures were used to symbolize some
Angle or rate of progress. Standards were cited, methodology relayed
with enthusiasm. This is not uncommon to overhear jargon-laced
abstracts and reference to esoteric studies.
Rather than bask in the comparitive simplicity of my own program, I
was jealous. Shared rules allowed for collective discovery and
excitement. They offer a common language-a baseline. A progression of
ideas emerges. Many artists see regulations and standards as a
hindrance, but I like structure to bounce off of. The perfect
subjectivity of review in my field makes it easy to regress. There is
no set of shared principles or practice. My feet are kicked out when
I've regained my stance.

No comments: